Show ticker

I do not believe I was speeding, can I appeal?

As the driver, you have the right at any time to ask for the matter to be heard in court who can consider all of the available evidence and decide whether they are guilty or not.  If it is decided that you are guilty, additional court costs will normally be ordered.

When considering whether you were the speeding driver you may also want to think about the class of vehicle you were driving.  For example, different speed limits often apply to goods and passenger vehicles which are usually subject to lower speed limits on certain roads.

Frequently asked questions

I would like to see the photograph from the camera?

With the Notice, you will have received a PIN number and details of how to view the camera image online. This may be helpful but most images show the rear of the vehicle and so will not normally assist with the identification of the driver.  Cameras are designed to take pictures of vehicles involved and not the driver. The responsibility of identifying the driver at the time rests solely with the registered keeper.

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution but it was outside the 14 days?

Only the first Notice to the registered keeper has to be sent within 14 days of the offence.

I have received a Single Justice Notice. Why was I not offered a course or fixed penalty?

You will have received a Single Justice Notice in the following circumstances?

  • You failed to provide the name and address of the driver at the time
  • You were driving and the speed you were driving at was too high for either a fixed penalty or offer of a course
  • You failed to pay the fixed penalty by submitting payment and your licence as required
  • You failed to attend and complete a course
  • You requested a court hearing.
You may also be interested in

For more information about making your appeal contact the Kent Police Traffic Enforcement Team.